It is reasonable to ask if organizing a large international event about ClimateTech does not contradict the idea of sustainability. After all, events are known for having a large carbon footprint, particularly leaving behind enormous amounts of disposable materials.
That’s why we are embedding sustainable planning and innovative solutions into the Climate Solutions Festival, striving to raise the bar for sustainable event productions. Together with Israeli startup ECO-OS, we are working to reduce the carbon footprint of the Festival as much as possible, monitoring the direct emissions of the event and of the energy consumed, reducing them as much as possible and offsetting the remainder.
Here is a snapshot of how the Climate Solutions Festival #ChooseClimate:
- We choose to MONITOR the carbon emissions of the event with ECO-OS’s carbon intelligence software solution.
- We choose to REDUCE the carbon emissions of the event, finding and implementing the best possible solutions to reduce our impact in the most pressing categories:
- Energy: the event will be powered by the most abundant renewable energy in Israel – solar electricity, provided by Doral Energy.
- Catering: small local businesses with close proximity to the venue will tend to the festival’s needs, and the menu will be entirely vegetarian, reducing an estimated 70-90% of carbon emissions compared to a meat-based menu.
- Waste: the event will put a special emphasis on the classic three Rs of waste management:
- Reduce: most of the furniture and equipment will be leased as a service and not disposable, and there will be no printouts. Most of the food plates and cutlery are reusable or compostable, in an effort to reduce plastic usage.
- Reuse: organic waste will be turned into compost, cooking gas, and biofertilizer with the help of Homebiogas, one of our showcasing startups. The cooking gas will then be utilized to power the Hadassah Neurim Youth Village in Israel.
- Recycle: plastic, glass, cardboard, paper, and electronics will all be separated for recycling.
- Transportation: there will be pre-arranged shuttles and plenty of public transit options for attendees to use instead of relying on private cars.
- We choose to OFFSET the carbon emissions of the event by supporting forestation projects. In collaboration with KKL-JNF, we are pledging to utilize the proceeds from Festival tickets to plant hundreds of new trees in the Yatir Forest.
Furthermore, we choose to EMPOWER a global network of climate changemakers and innovators. By gathering government, business, academia, and non-profit organizations dedicated to driving innovation in climate tech, as well as granting over $2 million in prizes to researchers and startups, we will initiate and incentivize a collaborative approach to solving climate challenges.
This is just the beginning of the new normal for climate tech. We hope the Climate Solutions Festival will set a precedent, and in the future, it will be possible to host completely climate-neutral events, further adding to our goals and ambitions to become a more sustainable society through innovation.
*NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO CHOOSE CLIMATE. JOIN US ON OCT 26TH AT THE HULDA FOREST –
Get your tickets now before they sell out! https://bit.ly/3UDbI4i
Michal Seror, Senior Director of Engagement Solutions at Start-Up Nation Central